Skip to content

Slice of Life: Party Princess Cafe

April 24, 2012

Cat cafes, Dog cafes, Dr. Fish cafes, and Princess cafes… you name it, and Korea probably has it!

Recently, Melody JeeYoung and I took Adrienne to the Party Princess Cafe to celebrate her birthday. JeeYoung had wanted to go to this cafe for a few months and it was on her Bucket List before leaving Korea, so we decided to check it out.

“What in the world is Party Princess Cafe,” you might ask.  Well, it is a cafe where girls (women really) can go and pay anywhere from 10,000krw (~ $10.00) to 100,000krw (~$100.00) in order to wear a dress and take pictures around the cafe. The dresses range from prom style to Hanbok style to wedding dresses! Essentially, you get to be a princess for about an hour! haha

I am cheap so I got a 10,000krw dress, but it was still nice. Meldoy had my favorite dress~ she looked like she could have been in a saloon in an old Western film! After her amazing posing skills we are trying to get her to audition for a Korean drama since foreigner acting is so awful– they could stand to have some better actors and actresses! 😉 Adrienne wore a Hanbok style dress and JeeYoung wore a cute dress that could easily be a bridesmaid dress.

The lady pinned our dresses and unfortunately there were no shoes big enough for my feet and none small enough for Melody’s feet! After sucking in and fitting into our dresses and not our shoes, we were accessorized with tiaras and other fancy hair pieces.

Then came the fun… one full hour of being silly and acting like princesses (because we are of course^^).

Adrienne and I soon discovered that we are not natural posers. We are rather awkward and don’t have the cool of a natural actress. And unfortunately no one could help us pose! Yet, we also discovered that JeeYoung and Melody had an innate ability to pose and eat up the camera! After a while, we would have Mel pose and then just do what she did~ haha We had a steep learning curve for posing. (Adrienne and I will not be auditioning for the Korean dramas!)

After transforming back into our normal clothing we all felt like we had just ventured off into some fairy tale land and returned with a story to share.

My favorite part of the whole night was laughing~ with a semester of grad school and the whoas of working full time as well, it was a nice reprieve from real life. I mean, the whole idea of dressing up like a princess is a little bit hilarious. But I can’t deny it, I kinda, sorta, really loved it!

And, I would totally do it again!

[several of the photos are complementary of JeeYoung and Melody]

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Directions to the party princess cafe:
Take Line 2, get off Eulchiro 1-ga, exit 6. Walk straight (1-2 minutes), pass the KB bank, until you see an IBIS hotel on the left. Go inside, and on the second floor you’ll find the party princess cafe, across from other restaurants. Or you can get off Myeong Dong station and walk through the main street, towards the big H&M and CGV, and make a right onto the Krispy Kreme alley. From there, walk straight a few minutes and you’ll see an entrance to the cafe, in the IBIS hotel building.
The slice of life challenge is hosted every Tuesday by Two Writing Teachers.
14 Comments leave one →
  1. April 24, 2012 11:50 am

Wow! Look at those dresses you guys wore. Very stylish!

Welcome to the SOLSC community. 🙂

2. jee young permalink
    April 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Welcome dyanne!! So glad you are joining us!! 🙂

3. April 24, 2012 1:10 pm

Laughing with friends is the best part of an occasion with your pals. This looks like so much fun!

4. April 24, 2012 1:55 pm

I’m so excited to be a part of the SOLSC~ I think it’ll keep me writing~ ^^ and I like getting to know other writers and educators =)

5. aruddteacher100 permalink
    April 24, 2012 7:25 pm

Looks like you all had an awesome time! I think someone should start a chain around here!

6. April 24, 2012 9:31 pm

What an interesting fun thing to do…very glamorous photographs!

7. April 24, 2012 10:21 pm

YAY! A new slicer… Welcome! I am enjoying perusing your blog.

Mandy @ The Chockboard

8. April 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Looks so fun! Dressing up and being silly with friends, a girl’s dream!

9. April 24, 2012 11:08 pm

Welcome to the community! Thanks for showing us this fun new place — I had no idea such a thing existed! Sounds like a great afternoon of girly bonding! 🙂

10. April 25, 2012 1:07 am

“You name it and Korea probably has it”- I’ve never been to Korea, but I’ve travelled in several other countries, and that sentiment feels so familiar…it is so surprising the unique places you discover- I went to a hotel in Lima, Peru that has a huge aquarium with dolphins in its restaurant and I remember a shop in Panama that sold musical instruments on one side and horse tack on the other side. I enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing the laughter. Welcome to slicing!

11. April 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Dyanne, you’re gorgeous! My favorite picture is the one of you sitting on the stool. 🙂

12. April 29, 2012 3:40 am

Fun to read. Liked the directions at the end. I felt like I was there.

13. Sarah Stewart permalink
    June 13, 2012 9:05 pm

I love this Dyanne! I still remember that time in Nicole’s apt. when we made a video with tiaras…right? Haha love you!

14. August 9, 2012 11:35 pm